Ep 135: A-Babies vs X-Babies 1, Talon Witch of the
Black Rose 71, Bravest Warriors 1, Superman 13 and Talon 1

Johnny Destructo, Matt Adler, Ambush Bug and Optimous Douche brave a hurricane to review this week’s books: A-Babies vs X-Babies 1, Talon Witch of the Black Rose 71, Bravest Warriors 1, Superman 13 and Talon 1!

Also: listener email and @$$terpiece theatre!

Take a listen and then feel free to comment below if you agree or disagree, or email us at info@poptardsgo.com!

DOWNLOAD (right click download and “Save As”)
to listen while you travel away from this site.
Use “Play in a new window” for a mobile PopTards Podcast player. (It may take a couple seconds to load, so give it some time :)

Click on the right arrow (the one on the left side of the player) to listen to this podcast.

or if there are earlier episodes that aren’t listed in the player, feel free to subscribe on iTUNES! Every single delicious episode of PopTards Podcast can be found on iTunes, and every future eppy will automatically download once it is posted!

xoJD!

Posted in : Comics, Podcast
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Comments to “Ep 135: A-Babies vs X-Babies 1, Talon Witch of the
Black Rose 71, Bravest Warriors 1, Superman 13 and Talon 1”

Add Comments (+)

1. Pink Apocalypse says:

What did Matt think of Bravest Warriors?

2. Matt Adler says:

Wow, I didn’t even realize I didn’t offer my own opinion. I must have gotten caught up in trying to understand Douche’s hatred of it!

I liked it, I thought it was funny. It probably couldn’t hold my attention in the long run, and I think I prefer, for example, Gurihiru’s art style on the babies book, but it’s definitely a book I would recommend to kids. Maybe ages 5 to 11 is the ideal range.

3. jaydee says:

5-11 huh? Yeah I was saying that it’s an all-ages book so I agree, but it was brought to my attention by my fellow manager that it’s Cartoon HANGOVER and the bit about Scaring the Baby out of you! lol

Maybe 9 and up?

4. kcviking says:

Wow. You guys actually got a podcast out this week!

Anybody read Multiple Warheads: Alphabet To Infinity ? A really bizarre book.

Hope you east coasters weather the storm!!

5. Matt Adler says:

JD: Yeah, I was thinking about that too, but then I realized we watched Ren and Stimpy growing up and that had some truly inappropriate things that it got away with! “Don’t Whiz On The Electric Fence!” You know what this reminds me a bit of? James Kochalka, but somewhat toned down. I would be willing to push it beyond 11, but I think as boys start to get older, they get embarrassed about enjoying things without a heaping helping of violence, and I think what violence this does have might be too cutesey for boys beyond that age. Plus there’s all that relationship stuff ;)

KC: We almost reviewed Multiple Warheads, but there were several books we didn’t get to, because bear in mind, both me and Douche got kicked off the podcast a couple of times due to brownouts, and the podcast ended when JD’s power went out! No matter how determined we were to have the podcast, Mother Nature had other plans!

6. Pink Apocalypse says:

Thanks, Matt! I didn’t listen to the podcast. I knew JD liked it, and I just wanted your opinion of that book, but wasn’t willing to endure whatever was waiting in the podcast to get to it.

AvX Babies art is pretty much the awesome, especially a shot I just saw of Captain America. Speaking of which, what do you guys think of the cover for the upcoming CA #1? I think it’s just,,,,just terrible. Terrible enough to make me almost think it’s *deliberately* bad, in an attempt to sell more of the outstanding alternate cover.

7. Jaydee says:

Hey Pink, you don’t have to “endure” the podcast, but you also don’t have to keep mentioning that u don’t want to endure the podcast either. ;)

8. Matt Adler says:

You mean this cover?

Looks like pretty standard JRJr to me. What do you particularly dislike about it?

9. jaydee says:

I agree about the cover..the shadow on the face reads as “Liefeld didn’t feel like drawing a face” type shadow then JRJR’s usual “this is a face with angles and highlights actually hitting it”
    if that makes sense.

10. Matt Adler says:

Yeah, I noticed that, but viewed it as more of a clumsy attempt at making Cap look mysterious/formidable rather than laziness. It’s not like JRJr puts a lot of detail into his faces anyway, and with Cap he’d only have to draw the bottom half :)

It’s not an amazing cover, but it’s not one of the worst I’ve seen. I’m curious to hear what turned you off about it, Pink.

11. jaydee says:

KC thanks bud! We are alive and well, and we are the Postal Workers of Podcasting. Rain, sleet, snow..Sandy. Until of course Sandy murders our podcast.

I haven’t read Multiple Warheads yet, but I plan on it!

12. Pink Apocalypse says:

Yes, that cover. It’s awful. It’s just a combination of bizarre pose (seriously, strike that pose and tells me if it’s natural in any way) mixed with ‘boxy’ style art. Face darkened, holding his shield *backwards*…the whole thing is just plain bad. Now go look at the alternate cover, which is a 10 on the 1-10 scale. It’s a conspiracy, I tell you!

I only clarified confusion on Matt’s part, JD.

13. jaydee says:

ooooooo holy what! that other cover is the dog’s bollicks!! SOOO SEXY

14. Matt Adler says:

Well, it’s apples and oranges, I wouldn’t compare an artist who’s going for photo-realism to one who isn’t. “Boxy” pretty much sums up all of JRJr’s art for the last 20+ years. But I agree it’s not a great cover.

15. Pink Apocalypse says:

I shouldn’t have mentioned the boxyness. I ment to compare quality, not styles. I make it a point to differentiate between the quality of a work (be it artwork or writing) and whether or not it appeals to me personally. for example, there were a couple of instances on the show when I praised the quality of some work, but at the same time said it just didn’t compel me.

Conversely, the opposite can also be true. I can admit that something is flat-out bad, artistically, but still really like the work personally. I can point to a pile of European horror movies or Lifetime dramas as proof.

The CA cover isn’t a matter of personally taste to me – I could like that *style* of art just fine, It’s all the reasons I gave as to why I consider it poor quality.

Seriously, that pose and backward-held shield give me a headache.

16. Grim_Noir says:

I agree that the pose is BAD on the standard Cap cover: Every time I see it out of the corner of my eye, I see CA with a hunchback…:(

17. JD (Host) says:

yeah Grim…it’s pretty lame work from JRJR. what a shame.